At Danbury Hospital, our experienced obstetric/gynecologic (ob/gyn) surgeons are known for expertise using minimally invasive surgery for many gynecologic conditions. Many procedures can be done using a vaginal approach, which may not require an external incision. Some complex surgeries are done using the da Vinci Surgical System.
Dr. Thomas Rutherford, a nationally recognized expert in gynecological cancers and Director of Physician Services for Western Connecticut Health Network, oversees care of women with gyn cancers. Dr. Rutherford brings more than 30 years of experience to the care of women with gynecologic cancer.
Our expert ob/gyn surgeons diagnose and treat conditions such as:
- Adnexal mass
- Gynecologic cancers
- Painful periods
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic Pain (chronic)
Our gynecologic surgeons perform procedures such as:
- Dilatation and curettage (D&C): A surgical procedure to remove part of the lining of the uterus and/or the contents of the uterus
- Fibroid removal
- Hysterectomy: Removal of the uterus for diagnosis and treatment of a variety of conditions and diseases, including cancer or uterine fibroids
- Treatment for pelvic organ prolapse
- Tubal ligation: Surgical sterilization by sealing the fallopian tubes to prevent eggs from reaching the uterus for fertilization.