Programs for Parents Childbirth Education Class Series
Programs for Parents is an educational program for new parents expecting the birth of a child. For convenience, the program offers educational classes as a series of classes, one-day or two-day classes.
The Childbirth Education Class Series at Danbury Hospital spans five days and is designed to provide both parents a comprehensive program based on solid, current medical evidence and proven techniques of childbirth.
The goal of the series is to inform and instruct you about each stage of normal labor. The series will try to help prepare you for the unexpected so that you are able to make safe and informed choices and to achieve the best birth experience possible.
- Locate the Family Birth Center and be familiar with Hospital guidelines for safety and amenities
- Describe what to bring to the hospital
- Identify the anatomy and physiology of labor
- Identify the signs of labor
- Identify and describe the stages of labor
- Describe the physical and emotional components that accompany labor
- Understand when to contact your healthcare provider
- Describe variations in labor
- Identify own and labor support persons needs and role in labor
- Describe a Birth Doula’s role in labor
- Identify and demonstrate comfort measures and breathing techniques for labor
- Identify options for pain relief: common medications and anesthesia
- Understand and identify common obstetrical procedures used during labor and childbirth
- Identify reasons for cesarean birth
Class Series Dates
- Wednesday September 8, 2010 Childbirth Education Class - Day 1
- Monday September 13, 2010 Childbirth Education Class - Day 2
- Monday September 20, 2010 Childbirth Education Class - Day 3
- Monday September 27, 2010 Childbirth Education Class - Day 4
- Monday October 4, 2010 Childbirth Education Class - Day 5
The Childbirth Education Class series is five days long. Attendees may also wish to attend additional classes focused on specialized topics. These classes are available with an additional cost. You can register for these add-on classes without registering for the series. Discounts are available when you register for a series and add-on classes.
Baby Care Basics
Baby Care Basics class provides both partners a basic understanding of the physical traits, behavior and care of the newborn in order to make safe and informed decisions their care when a newborn first comes home.
Cost: Discounted price $25 when you register for the series
The Breastfeeding class provides mothers with a basic understanding of the advantages and benefits of breastfeeding.
Robilotti Conference Center
24 Hospital Avenue
Danbury, CT 06810
Registration and More Information
Please call 1-800-511-9971 to register or more information about the "Programs for Parents" classes.
Check our calendar for when other Programs for Parents classes and series are available. You can also learn more about our Family Birth Center and the Level IIIb Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Danbury Hospital.