Led by Danbury’s only fellowship-trained breast surgeon, the Breast Cancer Program offers a comprehensive range of individualized services provided by a team of compassionate specialists who focus on the medical and emotional needs of each patient from screening and breast wellness through diagnosis and treatment into survivorship.
Our Breast Care Program is designed to minimize the amount of time patients spend waiting for test results. It’s our goal to provide a supportive setting where you will receive timely access to diagnostic testing and biopsy if needed so that you have the answers you need.
At the Praxair Cancer Center, clinical treatment is coordinated with comprehensive support services, to help patients and their families during a difficult time. Patients benefit from:
- Diagnostic expertise: We use advanced technology to provide timely and accurate information, including digital mammography with computer-aided diagnostics (CAD), breast ultrasound, and breast MRI
- Personalized treatment: We assemble a comprehensive team of experts to determine the best treatment plan for your situation. The team places a strong emphasis on breast conservation, and our medical services offer the latest treatments for women with breast cancer
- Extensive surgical experience: Our doctors are skilled in various minimally invasive procedures including core biopsies and image-guided procedures, as well as sentinel node biopsy, lumpectomy, mastectomy (including skin-sparing technique), and reconstructive procedures
- Advanced technology: Our physicians use several new and exciting therapies shown to be effective against breast cancer, including radiation, hormonal therapy, targeted chemotherapy, and genetic assay testing
- Clinical research: Our active clinical research program includes participation in multiple clinical trials for breast cancer
- Extensive support: Our Breast Care Coordinator assists women during screening and diagnostic testing, including any biopsies. As your ally and advocate, she can help you avoid delays in testing and provide support and education. Patients who are diagnosed with cancer are also supported by a Cancer Care Coordinator, a certified breast care nurse (CBCN) who provides support and education about breast cancer diagnosis, surgery, and treatment
For More Information
We would be happy to give you more information about the breast care services available at Danbury Hospital, including both treatment and support options. To get started, talk to your doctor about Danbury Hospital.
If you need a doctor referral, call 1-800-511-8639 or search our Find a Doctor online tool. You can also visit our patient and visitor information guide for more detailed information.
Director, Breast Care Program
Valerie Lynne Staradub, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Director, Breast Care Program
Dr. Staradub is the only fellowship-trained breast surgeon at Danbury Hospital and the surrounding area. She is the Medical Director of Danbury Hospital’s Breast Care Program.
Find a Doctor Profile
Prior to coming to Danbury Hospital, Dr. Staradub was on the faculty of Harvard Medical School and was on staff at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Dr. Staradub treats both benign and malignant (cancer) breast problems.
Procedures and Specialties
- Breast conserving surgery (lumpectomy)
- Minimally invasive procedures; core biopsy and fine needle aspiration
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Mastectomy (including skin-sparing techniques)
- Collaboration with reconstructive surgeons to offer immediate reconstructive procedures
Related Centers and Departments