Return to News
$50 Million Fundraising Campaign for Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospital Officially Launched
Western Connecticut Health Network Targeted for Expansion
A $50 million fundraising campaign for Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospital was publically launched yesterday at a high-energy, multimedia event at the Candlewood Inn in Brookfield, Connecticut. John M. Murphy, MD, President and CEO of Western Connecticut Health Network, announced that to date $30 million has been raised in support of Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospitals.
Several major gifts have already given the campaign momentum. The new Emergency Department at Danbury Hospital will be named The Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Department of Emergency Medicine, while the Emergency Department at New Milford Hospital will be named The Arnhold Department of Emergency Medicine. The Spratt Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was named in recognition of a gift from Harold A. Spratt and his family.
The campaign, called "Imagine Build Transform" will enhance the ability of the Network's hospitals to provide world-class, state-of-the-art, patient-centered care to the people of Western Connecticut and nearby New York. On the research front, the campaign aims to foster groundbreaking discoveries that will yield improved diagnoses and targeted therapies for patients.
According to Murphy, "We are undertaking this campaign to ensure that Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospital continue to provide access to high-quality, compassionate care that saves and improves lives. Our entire healthcare network is being transformed into a national model, one that shows how to deliver highly effective, efficient and personalized medicine. We are also demonstrating how pioneering research can be translated into care that addresses the needs of local communities."
Gifts to the campaign will support major new construction, new medical technology and other improvements for inpatients and outpatients, as well as groundbreaking research. More specifically:
- A new patient tower at Danbury Hospital, currently under construction, will be completed. It will expand the hospital’s ability to provide life-saving services that take advantage of rapidly evolving technology. The building will include a 35-bed medical/surgical patient-care floor, a 30-bed state-of-the-art Critical Care Unit, the new Emergency Department, all private patient rooms and other improvements.
- Emergency Departments in both Danbury and New Milford Hospitals will double in size and experience major upgrades. In order to quickly assess patient needs and deliver the highest quality of care when time is of the essence, both hospitals will have new, streamlined triage areas and innovative systems for quickly assessing patient needs. For increased patient comfort and confidentiality, all patient rooms will be private and equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
- At Danbury Hospital, improvements will include a new fast-track area in the Emergency Department for less acute patients, a dedicated imaging center so patients can be treated more rapidly, a pediatric unit and a direct access heliport to expand the Hospital’s capacities as a Level II Trauma Center.
- At New Milford Hospital, the expanded Emergency Department will include new state-of-the-art technology, all private exam rooms, a dedicated pediatric room, a redesigned nursing station for direct oversight of patients, a walk-in entrance and a sophisticated new decontamination area.
- Funding for research will help to push back the boundaries of what is possible when it comes to bringing diagnoses and treatments from the laboratory to the bedside. Western Connecticut Health Network is developing an innovative model for research that is different from traditional academic medical centers, as it involves unprecedented collaboration between researchers and the community, and breaks down the standard boundaries between different medical disciplines.
- The Spratt Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Danbury Hospital, now up and running, will continue to seek funds for continued advancement. Highlights include individual, private rooms with overnight accommodations for parents, three twin rooms, capacity for over 400 patients a year, multiple monitoring systems, family respite and consulting areas, four season room and a rooftop garden.
According to Dr. Murphy, "At a time when reforms are dramatically reshaping the healthcare system, funding for healthcare continues to be challenged and new hospital taxes are being implemented, philanthropy is more important than ever to our sustainable mission and a healthful future for our communities."
For more information, please visit The Campaign for Western Connecticut Health Network, or call the Foundation Office at (203) 739-7227.
About Western Connecticut Health Network
Western Connecticut Health Network is the region's premier, patient-centered health care organization serving residents of Western Connecticut and adjacent New York. The organization is anchored by two nationally recognized hospitals, Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospital, as well as their affiliated organizations. In addition to the two hospitals, the continuum of care offered includes the following affiliates:
- Western Connecticut Medical Group, an integrated physician practice with primary and specialty care expertise
- Western Connecticut Home Care, an agency for home care and community health services
- The Western Connecticut Health Network Foundations
- emergency medical and Level II trauma services
- an occupational wellness and medicine program, providing services for business and industry
- a nationally renowned Biomedical Research Institute
Western Connecticut Health Network has centers of excellence in women's health, cardiovascular and cancer services; minimally invasive joint and spine surgery; digestive disorders, weight-loss (bariatric) surgery, and radiology and diagnostic imaging. It also offers specialized programs for neonatology with a Level IIIb neonatal intensive care unit and accredited sleep disorder centers. Both hospitals also maintain active clinical research programs, offering clinical trials for patients with cancer and other health concerns. Danbury Hospital was named a Top 100 Hospital by US News and World reports in 2012; a and a Top 100 for Value by Cleverly and Associates. New Milford Hospital is well known as a Planetree hospital and for its Plow to Plate, farm to table food program.
For more information, visit WesternConnecticutHealthNetwork.org, DanburyHospital.org; NewMilfordHospital.org and share your comments with us at Facebook.com/DanburyHospital or Facebook.com/NewMilfordHospital.
Imagine Build Transform: The Campaign for Western Connecticut Health Network
Western Connecticut Health Network is conducting a capital campaign to meet patients' changing needs with next generation facilities, resources, talent, and technologies. Our priority areas are the Patient Tower, Emergency Department, and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Danbury Hospital, the Emergency Department at New Milford Hospital, and the Biomedical Research Institute. To learn more, please call the Foundation office at (203) 739-7227 or visit us at TheCampaignForWCTHN.org.
Date posted - 05/22/2013