Cancer Golf Tournament Celebrates 25 Years of Community Generosity
Event Approaches $5 Million Mark to Benefit Patients and Families Facing Cancer
Western Connecticut Health Network will have more than sunny skies, warm temperatures and beautiful fairways on its mind on Monday, June 3, when it conducts its 25th Anniversary Cancer Golf Tournament at Ridgewood Country Club. An estimated 240 golfers, volunteers and community supporters are expected to hit the links to further invest in the coordination of care and supportive services for patients treated at the Praxair Cancer Center at Danbury Hospital and the Diebold Family Cancer Center at New Milford Hospital.
Over the last 24 years, proceeds from the WCHN Cancer Golf Tournament - $4.8 million - have helped to fund major advances that are quietly transforming the disease to a chronic condition that can be managed over time. All of the tournament's proceeds have remained in this community to care for cancer patients close to home. Through the support of sponsors, volunteers, players, and area businesses we are hoping to reach the $5 million milestone in tournament net proceeds.
Statistics show that three out of four families will help care for a family member with cancer. To better address the needs of patients and their caregivers, this year's tournament proceeds will be directed to:
- An Oncology Patient Navigator Program - Oncology nurse navigators are trained to guide patients through appropriate diagnostic, treatment and support services, while providing education and support.
- Financial Counseling Program - Experts provide patients undergoing treatment with a written plan regarding health insurance coverage, expected out-of-pocket costs, assistance with insurance payments and drug costs, and referral to charity care as appropriate.
- Outpatient Palliative Care Program - The goal of palliative care is to prevent and relieve suffering and support the best quality of life for patients and families, regardless of the stage of the disease or the need for other therapies.
- Survivorship Program - This comprehensive program will deliver a highly coordinated, multidisciplinary approach to treatment and care to fulfill the many needs of the ever increasing number of patients who can call themselves cancer survivors.
||Lunch on the Patio
A wide array of sponsorship opportunities exist from major sponsor packages to sponsorship of specific course elements and tournament activities throughout the day. In addition, an exclusive drawing for tournament players will be available thanks to the generosity of area car dealerships. To learn more about the WCHN Cancer Golf Tournament, visit online at GolfTournament.WCHN.org or call (203) 739-8072.
Now in its 25th year and set to reach the $5 million mark to support families with cancer, the Cancer Golf Tournament Committee at Western Connecticut Health Network includes (standing from left): Bill Craig (Brookfield), Wayne Skelly (Danbury), Bill Starbuck (Ridgefield), Patti Struna (Bethel), Joe Wrinn (Woodbury); (seated from left): Ralph McIntosh, Jr. (Newtown), Shirley LaPine (Bethel), Bob McCarthy (New Milford). Other members of the committee are: Linda Connolly (New Milford); Pat Hough (Sandy Hook); Don Mitchell (Brookfield); Jim Powers, Esq. (Weston); and Jim Silvestri (Danbury).
About Western Connecticut Health Network
Western Connecticut Health Network is the region's premier, patient-centered health care organization serving residents of Western Connecticut and adjacent New York. The organization is anchored by two nationally recognized hospitals, Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospital, as well as their affiliated organizations. In addition to the two hospitals, the continuum of care offered includes the following affiliates:
- Western Connecticut Medical Group, an integrated physician practice with primary and specialty care expertise
- Western Connecticut Home Care, an agency for home care and community health services
- The Western Connecticut Health Network Foundations
- emergency medical and Level II trauma services
- an occupational wellness and medicine program, providing services for business and industry
- a nationally renowned Biomedical Research Institute
Western Connecticut Health Network has centers of excellence in women's health, cardiovascular and cancer services; minimally invasive joint and spine surgery; digestive disorders, weight-loss (bariatric) surgery, and radiology and diagnostic imaging. It also offers specialized programs for neonatology with a Level IIIb neonatal intensive care unit and accredited sleep disorder centers. Both hospitals also maintain active clinical research programs, offering clinical trials for patients with cancer and other health concerns. Danbury Hospital was named a Top 100 Hospital by US News and World reports in 2012; a and a Top 100 for Value by Cleverly and Associates. New Milford Hospital is well known as a Planetree hospital and for its Plow to Plate, farm to table food program.
For more information, visit WesternConnecticutHealthNetwork.org, DanburyHospital.org; NewMilfordHospital.org and share your comments with us at Facebook.com/DanburyHospital or Facebook.com/NewMilfordHospital.
Imagine Build Transform: The Campaign for Western Connecticut Health Network
Western Connecticut Health Network is conducting a capital campaign to meet patients' changing needs with next generation facilities, resources, talent, and technologies. Our priority areas are the Patient Tower, Emergency Department, and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Danbury Hospital, the Emergency Department at New Milford Hospital, and the Biomedical Research Institute. To learn more, please call the Foundation office at (203) 739-7227 or visit us at TheCampaignForWCTHN.org.