Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine
Danbury Hospital supports programs aimed at the early detection of cancer. These include screening tests for gastroenterological conditions like colonoscopies.
Reasons for Screening
- Check unexplained abdominal symptoms
- Check for inflammatory bowel disease (colitis)
- Verify findings of polyps or tumors located with a barium enema exam
- Examine patients who test positive for blood in the stool
- Monitor patients with a past history of colon polyps or cancer
There can be significant benefits to undergoing screening, testing, and prevention measures. For instance, some common cancers are easier to treat or cure if they are found early. Caught early, colon cancer is one of the most curable cancers. Most cases of colon cancer occur in people over 50. The older you are, the higher the risk, but early detection can save your life.
For More Information
If you have questions about Gastroenterology ask your doctor about Danbury Hospital. If you need a doctor referral call us at 1-800-516-3658, or search our Find a Doctor tool to find a doctor near you.