Perinatology Services for High-Risk Care
Danbury Hospital offers maternal-fetal medicine services before and during pregnancy to assist women who are considered at high-risk because of:
• Existing medical conditions
• Family history
• Previous complications.
Care for High-Risk Pregnancies
Doctors who specialize in maternal-fetal medicine (also known as perinatologists) work in collaboration with the woman’s obstetrician/gynecologist, infertility experts and others to ensure the health of both mother and baby throughout the pregnancy.
Women may consult a maternal-fetal medicine physician before getting pregnant for pre-conception counseling or during the pregnancy if concerns arise. Services are available at both the hospital’s Family Birth Center and on an outpatient basis
Should I consult a maternal-fetal medicine physician?
Women may want to consult with a perinatologist for preconception counseling before pregnancy if they have:
- High blood pressure
- Preeclampsia (high blood pressure) during pregnancy
- Other medical conditions that may be affected by the pregnancy or that may impact the pregnancy
Our maternal-fetal medicine physicians also assist pregnant women who are:
- Carrying multiple babies
- Experiencing premature labor
- Concerned about the developing fetus
- Managing an existing medical condition or develop a medical condition (such as gestational diabetes) that impacts mother-baby health
Antepartum Testing Suite
Antepartum tests are performed before delivery to assess the health and development of the fetus.
These services can include:
- Prenatal genetic counseling
- Anatomic level II ultrasounds
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Non-stress tests which monitor the baby’s heart rate before the stress of labor
The hospital also cares for pregnant women who require long hospital stays for observation to ensure the wellbeing of both mother and child.
State-of-the-art Neonatal Care
Our team includes recognized leaders in neonatal medicine for the specialized care of premature babies in our Level IIIB Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
For More Information
For more information about maternal-fetal medicine services at Danbury Hospital or to obtain a physician referral, please call 1-800-511-9971. You can also use our convenient Find a Doctor online tool to locate a doctor near you.
See the patient and visitor information section to learn more about Danbury Hospital.