This hearty and healthy casserole would go well with a salad or green vegetable.
- 2 c. uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c. onion cut into rings
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ c. skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ c. fat-free Mozzarella cheese
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In medium skillet, combine chicken, green pepper and onion. Cook chicken until no longer pink and green pepper is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, Italian seasoning, oregano, pepper ad garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.
- In medium bowl, blend milk and egg whites. Add macaroni; mix well.
- Spread macaroni mixture evenly in 9x13-inch pan, sprayed with nonstick pan spray. Spoon meat mixture evenly over macaroni; top with cheese.
- Bake in a 350 oven until hot, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- 354 calories
- 4.2 gm fat
- 11% cal/fat
- 4 very lean meat exchanges
- 2 bread exchanges
- 1 ½ vegetable exchanges
For More Information
To learn more about the Community Nutrition Center at Danbury Hospital, please contact The Community Nutrition Center. Need to find a doctor? Use our Find a Doctor online tool or call 1-800-516-3658 for a physician referral.