Total Joint Replacement
If you need a knee, hip, shoulder or ankle replacement, it’s important to know that the Danbury Hospital Joint and Spine Institute’s Total Joint Program delivers the results that matter most: superior clinical outcomes and high patient satisfaction.
We have adopted a proven care model that emphasizes patient education, early mobility, effective pain management, standardized care and a wellness culture. As a result, our patients are able to go home after joint replacement (instead of to a nursing facility) faster and more often.
In other words, our patients don’t just feel better after their procedure. They also do better. And they’re happier about their experience—a fact reflected in our ever-rising patient satisfaction scores.
We’re privileged to care for over 900 total joint replacement (TJR) patients each year, and we’d be honored to count you among them. Here’s a closer look at what you can expect:
We believe that informed, engaged and empowered people make the best patients and caregivers. That’s why we have dedicated resources to ensure that you and your caregiver-coach know what to expect before, during and after your TJR surgery. These resources include:
- A orthopedic nurse navigator who provides personalized guidance to you and your coach as you progress through the Total Joint Program
- A mandatory pre-op class for you and your coach held 4 weeks prior to your scheduled surgery; classes are held every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m.
- The Surgical Patient Portal, an easy-to-use digital app that helps prepare you for surgery with timely email notifications, education modules and reminders
- A hard-copy guidebook with step-by-step guidance about your upcoming surgery and what happens postoperatively
When you undergo joint replacement at Danbury Hospital, it’s not your typical hospital stay. Notably, we don’t see you as being sick; rather, we see you as a healthy individual who has joint pain, and wants to enjoy a better quality of life by having joint replacement surgery.
This wellness concept is integrated throughout our entire program, including your stay in our special unit with 12 private rooms just for TJR patients. It’s a welcoming environment that optimizes your recovery in such ways as:
- You wear your own clothing rather than a hospital gown
- You get up and moving within hours of having surgery
- You’re out of bed early in the morning, simulating a regular home schedule, and participate in out-of-bed activities throughout the day
- Your daily routine integrates nursing, physical therapy (PT) and occupational therapy (OT)
- A public “Ambulation Board” tracks each patient’s progress and promotes friendly competition—a tactic proven to result in better outcomes
- You choose a coach—usually a family member—who’s an active participant in your care, including therapy sessions, before, during and after discharge from the hospital
Danbury Hospital’s Total Joint Program has developed standardized care protocols based on proven best practices. This is important because reducing variation in the way care is delivered helps reduce variations in outcomes. And you know what to expect.
For example, standardized post-op orders establish efficient and effective guidelines for what care is delivered after surgery, and when. Similarly, standardized discharge orders ensure that you have met specific criteria for a safe discharge to home.
At the same time, however, we recognize that each patient is different, so our staff pays close attention to your unique emotional and physical needs, and modifies your care, as appropriate.
Through our Total Joint Program, you have a specialized team of highly qualified professionals focused on helping you get back to your regular activities and live pain-free. Your team includes:
- A fellowship-trained and board-certified orthopedic surgeon
- A fellowship-trained and board-certified anesthesiologist
- Nurses with extensive orthopedics experience
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- A nurse navigator who’s there to guide you through the process, every step of the way
Pain control is one of the biggest concerns for patients undergoing joint replacement. We address this with a comprehensive approach that includes:
- A dedicated pain management team, led by an anesthesiologist who consults with you before and after surgery, and manages your anesthesia during your procedure
- Advanced pain management techniques including non-opioid medications and peripheral nerve blocks
- Less-invasive surgical techniques that promote rapid recovery
The Danbury Hospital Joint and Spine Institute launched its Total Joint Program as part of our ongoing commitment to enhance the patient experience and improve outcomes.
We partnered with Stryker Corporation, a respected maker of implants used in joint replacement, which has developed an innovative initiative to help hospitals transform their already-strong joint replacement programs into centers of excellence for joint care.
This collaboration gives us access to information and resources proven to work, based on Stryker’s research and the experience of a network of 300 other hospitals. It’s working for Danbury Hospital, too. Just two months post-implementation:
- We saw a 12% increase in our TJR patient satisfaction scores
- The number of patients discharged to home versus a nursing facility more than doubled
- There has been a decrease in length of stay for TJR patients (most of our patients go home the day after surgery, while some are able to go home within hours of their procedure)
You don’t have to travel far to get outstanding care. When it comes to total joint replacement, Danbury Hospital offers superb results and an excellent patient experience. It would be a privilege to care for you.
For more information, please call us at 800-516-3658.