Western Connecticut Health Network is pleased to present its Dietetic Internship Program with a concentration in medical nutrition therapy. Dietetic interns will experience a broad range of instruction and hands-on experience in a dynamic setting dedicated to health education and research. Rotations may include travel to New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital, and Danbury Hospital.
The program consists of more than 1,200 supervised practice hours in clinical, community, research and food service management. Typically the program runs Monday – Friday with the exception of a few weekends for health fairs. The program runs from August through June in the next year.
- 11 weeks in acute care
- 2 weeks in long term care
- 5 weeks in staff relief
- 8 weeks in community nutrition
- 5 weeks in food service management
- 2 weeks in research
Community settings which may include school food service, group homes, outpatient nutrition therapy, bariatric surgery, diabetes education, dialysis, WIC, SNAP Education, cardiac rehabilitation and Meals on Wheels.
Research project is working together on a research topic which will include a professional poster presentation.
During the internship program, the interns must meet all requirements outlined in the Memorandum of Agreement including:
- Payment of all program tuition and fees
- Satisfactory completion of all planned experiences and assignments in each rotation
- Satisfactory evaluations on all rotations
- Interns receive developmental and performance feedback via:
- Written evaluation for each rotation by the preceptor
- Written evaluation of projects and assignments
Contact UsJanet D. Hiser, MOE, RD, CD/N, Dietetic Internship Director
Food and Nutrition Department
24 Hospital Avenue
Danbury CT, 06810
Western Connecticut Health Network Dietetic Internship is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
120 Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
Telephone: (315) 899-0040 ext 5400
We are approved to accept 6 interns. Our next accreditation will be 2019.