Palliative care is patient-and family-centered care that improves the quality of life of patients with chronic or life-limiting illness. When patients and families are on the front lines of a serious illness, Danbury Hospital’s palliative care specialists can provide answers, expertise and support in making decisions about their plan of care.
Palliative care is a medical specialty that is focused on improving your quality of life, not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. Palliative care services can be helpful for anyone with a chronic, serious illness – such as heart disease, autoimmune disorders and lung disease – not just for those with end-stage cancer.
The Palliative Care team can:
- Provide expert pain and symptom management throughout the course of an illness
- Provide continuous coordination of care and communication with patients, families and caregivers across the continuum of care (in the hospital, at home, in a nursing facility, in an assisted-living facility, or at the Praxair Cancer Center).
- Help navigate the healthcare system
- Provide emotional and spiritual support for patients and families
- Help improve the quality of life and comfort throughout the course of illness
- Offer advance care planning to document healthcare and end-of-life wishes
- Refer for hospice care at the appropriate time – a type of palliative care provided to patients and families in the final months of life.
Your current medical care will continue as ordered by your care team. The Palliative Care team will review your medical history and current treatment plan, and meet with you and your family to determine a plan of care that will be offered simultaneously with your current medical treatment.
Your Palliative Care Team is composed of:
- Hospitalist physicians
- Advanced practice registered nurses
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Spiritual care
- Other members of your care team
The Palliative Care team can be reached at any time by calling 203-739-6662.
Consults are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and as needed on nights and weekends.