NEW MILFORD, Connecticut – June 28, 2016 - The Diebold Family Cancer Center at New Milford Hospital, located at 21 Elm Street, will host a free skin cancer screening on Saturday, July 30, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY). The screening will be conducted during New Milford’s Village Fair Days and provided by board certified Dr. Beth Buscher of Dermatology Associates of Western Connecticut. To make an appointment, please call 1-800-350-1595. The public is invited and encouraged to take advantage of this free screening.
Skin cancer screening is encouraged if:
- You have risk factors for skin cancer
- You never had your skin checked for skin cancer
- You want to learn more about preventing or recognizing skin cancer
Risk factors for skin cancer include:
- Fair skin that freckles or burns easily
- Blond or red hair, blue/green/gray eyes
- A personal or family history of skin cancer
- High sun exposure, multiple sunburns especially at an early age
- Use of tanning beds or sun lamps
- High number of moles
Please note – this is a screening only, no treatment will be provided.
Skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the United States. It is treatable if found early, making early detection so very important. Skin cancer screenings, the use of sunscreen regularly and practicing skin self-exams monthly are a few ways to reduce one’s risk.
For more information about program and services available at the Diebold Family Cancer Center at New Milford Hospital click here.