Palliative Care Services
Palliative care is a medical specialty that is focused on improving your quality of life, not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. Palliative care services can be helpful for anyone with a chronic, serious illness – such as heart disease, autoimmune disorders and lung disease – not just for those with end-stage cancer. The Palliative Care team can:
- Provide expert pain and symptom management throughout the course of an illness
- Provide continuous coordination of care and communication with patients, families and caregivers across the continuum of care (in the hospital, at home, in a nursing facility, in an assisted-living facility, or at the Praxair Cancer Center).
- Help navigate the healthcare system
- Provide emotional and spiritual support for patients and families
- Help improve the quality of life and comfort throughout the course of illness
- Offer advance care planning to document healthcare and end-of-life wishes
- Refer for hospice care at the appropriate time – a type of palliative care provided to patients and families in the final months of life.